Saturday, August 22, 2009

The ending...

Most people who know me know that one of my most favorite things to do is read biographies or autobiographies of missionaries or other heroes of the Christian faith.  I've been doing this for many years and often I find myself desiring to be the main character of the book.  

The first one I ever read was George Mueller.  This guy was a real man of faith.  He started and ran orphanages in England.  During all the years he served God in this capacity, he never once let anyone but God know of the financial or material needs of the orphanage.  Through complete faith in God, he cared for thousands of orphans and met ALL their needs.  After I read this book, my soul longed to be George Mueller and do great things for God.

Gladys Aylward was a woman who found herself rejected for missionary service by an agency since she lacked qualifications and was too old.  She raised the money for the trip herself and wound up in China, working with a missionary there.  One day, she found herself the adoptive mother of a little girl who was unwanted.  She took in many children after that and risked her life when the Japanese attacked China.  She led at least 100 children (sorry, can't remember for sure the #- my books were all damaged in the fire) on foot miles and miles to safety.  After I read that book, my soul longed to be Gladys Aylward.

Mary Slessor was a little, red headed lady who desired to go to the interior of Africa to reach tribes who'd never heard about Jesus Christ.  She was old it was too dangerous but she took a risk and went anyway.  She was amongst head hunters.  It seemed not to phase her and once again, she developed such a great reputation among the tribes that the tribal leaders came to her to settle disputes between tribes.  She also adopted several children who were unwanted and in danger and wouldn't have an opportunity at life otherwise.  After I read that book, my soul longed to be Mary Slessor.  

As I said before, I used to work with the youth and I regularly talked about the lives of these people with them.  I have said many times, "I just want to be...(fill in the blank with the name of my favorite missionary of the day)."

One of the special young ladies in my Bible study is named Emily.  Let me tell you about her. She has been all over the world on mission trips.  I mean ALL over the world for months at a time.  She graduated from college and is now getting her Masters degree in Boston.  Her major will equip her to work for or run an international development agency or to work with the poor in the U.S.  One of the most fascinating trips she's taken brought her to Nepal where she worked among lepers and child prostitutes.  Can I just say...I am so proud of this girl!

Anyway, she emailed me the other day to say she enjoys reading the blog and that it looks like God has answered the longing of my soul and made our lives resemble those in the missionary books I've loved for so many years. (I'm not sure we can be put into their category, though!)But what she said made me think.  

You know, all those books I read had an amazing ending.  These people made a huge, eternal impact on this world.  But while they endured all the harrowing, dangerous, painful and often life threatening events of their lives - how did they feel?  Were they afraid, stressed and wondering, "what is going on here?"  Did they get discouraged?  It's just so easy when you read a book to not see the hard times that it took to follow the will of God in their lives.  It just looks so miraculous if you don't 'feel' the pain in their journey.  Sometimes it would be nice to read the 'end' of your book.  

But Emily reminded me that we know the end.  We end up with Jesus, our Savior in heaven and He is ultimately the victor over all.  

And to know that IS enough.  It's more than enough.

On another note, Bibi left today for Ethiopia to get her sweet daughter, L.  Pray that their meeting is a sweet one. I am so excited for her.  Their lives will be changed forever.  

She will also meet our Tarikwa.  I can't wait to hear what her impressions are of her!!  I can't wait to see the video and pictures she takes of them together.  How do you explain a bond between two woman a thousand miles away from each other who's daughters happen best friends half way across the world?  Only God...

We are up at the cabin this weekend and just wanted to let you know that Blaine's symptoms are much decreased since he's been up here.  No stress.  At home, the stress level is very high both with the business and the house and he physically must work harder than he should be right now considering his health concerns.  So hopefully when the house is complete that life will settle down and he will see the symptom he's still having disappear.  It's a blessing for him to feel better this weekend!

Well, if you made it through this post, congratulations!!  

Gotta get out to the bonfire for some s'mores.

Blessings,
Laura



 

No comments:

Post a Comment