Thursday, April 9, 2009

Stuff

Blaine and I spent the whole day today at the house with the camera. We remembered last night that our insurance adjuster told us that the entire first level and the loft area was a complete non-restore and that we could keep anything we felt had sentimental value but that everything else would be replaced. Yesterday, they were hauling out mattresses and furniture for cleaning. Yuck. So we reconfirmed that with the adjuster this morning and changed our plan of attack today to getting pics of everything (and I mean ev-er-yyy-thing) so I can sit in front of the computer and write down this "stuff", how old it is, what we paid for it and what it is worth now.

The restoration company sent two nice ladies out today and we were going through our kitchen. I *guess* we were doing a little too much talking. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Blaine put up his hand to one of the guy workers and do the 'she's talking too much gesture'. He then says to me, "The flash on that camera should look like a strobe light. There is too much time between flashes." At this point the camera was taken from me and the strobe began! The kitchen was like a disco. No one could keep up with Blaine. Garbage started piling up. It was insane. But we got quite a bit done. The upstairs bathrooms are done (meaning empty and pics taken of all the contents), living room is done, upstairs bedroom is done, most of the toys are done, my books are done, and much of the kitchen is done. We will be back tomorrow with a couple brave and fearless friends to try to get more done. They evidentally were trying to get it complete so they could begin demo-ing it Monday. Someone really should have told me that...I would have talked less.

Funny what you find in drawers. Today, in one of my bathroom drawers (don't ask) I found several note card with Bible verses on them. Two really stood out to me.

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 40:10

We sure need strength and help from God. Sometimes it's hard not to be afraid.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your mind
and with all your strength.
The second greatest commandment is thisi:
Love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no commandments greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

So many people have loved us as they have loved themselves this week. The boys have been loved on, showered with gifts and clothes, we have received wonderful meals, cards, flowers, offers to help, money, gift cards and so much love and support. People have cried with us and laughed with us. What great examples of the love of Christ.

Today was a very hard day for me I guess because it started out hard. Because of all that's happened, the other day we felt we had to ask Rene to see if he could find another place to live. Well, this morning when he and Blake left for school he wasn't coming back. We will really miss him. Our house just worked out perfectly for his needs and I feel so badly. I feel such a sense of loss with everything and then losing him just took the cake. We'll see him again but it is just not the same.

I am going to try to call a church very near where he attends college at Normandale to see if there might be a mission minded person who would be able to have him. Maybe someone who needs help with yardwork. He can do dishes like nobodies business. Pray that there will be the perfect people for him. He has somewhere temporarily.

The kids are doing ok. The older kids are better than the younger. At least it seems that way on the outside. Mihiretu seems to be doing pretty well. It's really Misganaw who is showing the effects of this loss and stress more than anyone. Right now, it's his way or no way. He wants cookies for breakfast and candy whenever he wants it. He wants to be FIRST and everything is MINE! It is like I have a new child inhabiting my sons body. I'm hoping after another week of super busyness, we can settle in to a routine and he will feel more secure. Poor little guy.

I just keep thinking of all the loss these 2 little ones have experienced in their very short lives. To lose their first families and all that they knew to be brought to an orphanage. Then to get used to that and the people who loved and cared for them, and then we show up and they lose that. Then to get used to us and feel secure in our home, then to lose that. Any advise on how I can help them in the short and long term?

Many blessings,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I heard through the grapevine that a need for you right now is childcare. Our Bethany has surgery to repair her palate next Friday, but earlier in the week, I can help out with the boys if you would like. Trent is in Mihiretu's Sunday School and in Sparks with him, and I think my Toby & Bethany are just a little older than Misganaw. I think they would have a lot of fun together. This Saturday we could help out as well. Praying for His Strength and Grace for you each day, as HE is sufficient for all of our needs...
    Becky Hay

    ReplyDelete