Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Heavy heart for my friends today

Remember the beautiful house by the trash dump I wrote about recently? This is what it looks like now. Our friend, Biruk went to visit them yesterday and was absolutely shocked at what he found. The trash dump has completely encroached upon this property and they were forced to take down the bedroom end to make room for the trash. You can see just how close it is to the house now.

Just the living room portion of the house is now left.


Wendimu and his parents. Just 2 months ago this was a little paradise next to a trash dump. My heart is broken and the looks on their faces say it all. They are staying just a few more days in hopes that the government will help them find a new home. Not sure if that's going to happen or how that works.



I absolutely cannot believe that in the period of 2 short months this could happen. It was inevitable at some point, of course but this is so soon. I am thankful to Biruk for sending these pictures to us so we can be praying for this family.

With all the internet awareness of Korah and the trash dump now going all over the world, the government has decided to clean up the dump adjacent to the main road so it "looks" better to the average passer-by. It really does look nice, all covered in grass now. But one needs to look a little deeper, come off the road and walk into the community of Korah and see where the garbage has gotten pushed to see how it's impacting real people. I suspect that is why this has happened over the past 2 months. It should have taken much longer for the trash to encroach on their property but looking good to the "world" is so important.

I'm struggling with the inequity of it all today. I just returned from the grocery store where I filled my cart, loaded it all in my SUV, drove to my house and loaded it all into my pantry and refrigerator, on the way home stopping for a car wash. All the while, holding back tears and my heart feeling like it weighs a ton because I know that on the other side of the world, this family is in imminent danger of being homeless.

Sorry this is not going to wrap up into a perfect little platitude today. Of course, we are praying that the Lord will provide them with another home and we have already seen that He is faithful in their lives.

I understand...if you build your house near the edge of a trash dump, eventually you will lose it to the trash. I'm not down on the dump people. I'm just upset for my friends.

And today my little mind just cannot wrap itself around the inequity of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment